Friday, December 14, 2012

A Call

It is mornings like this morning, amidst the tragedy of 27 dead in an elementary school, when I am reminded of what we fight for.

I am reminded that our enemy is ruthless.

I am reminded that we stand for good, we pray, we fall on our knees, we learn about mercy, hope, love, and tenderness because we live in a world where those things are rapidly snuffed out. Can we...will we?

I am reminded that I live for a cause I am ready to die for, and soberly take into account the tremendous price over our heads. I wonder if we have all counted the cost.

Did I say already that our enemy is ruthless?

I implore you to think about evil for a minute. Go ahead and go there. Allow yourself to intake the depth of depravity that exists in the hearts of men and women, and realize that there is nothing casual or funny about our enemy. Realize whom we stand against - his lust, greed, anger, pride, and horror, his hate for mankind, that which is cultivated in ourselves as well - and let yourself be rightfully angry. Again, I ask that you count the cost and be ready for action.

I guess this is a call, from a beating heart, to take your life seriously. Take your ministry seriously. Take love seriously. Will we stop messing around? Please? Get on your knees for your city, for your neighbors, your loved ones. Do you believe in God? Then act like it. Do you believe that the gospel has something to offer the world? Then let your words match. Do you believe He is powerful? Then pray like it. Wake up and hear the cry of your hurting neighbors, hear the voice of someone outside yourself.

Maybe if the people who say they love Jesus were transformed by the renewing of their minds, and put away such things as malice, deceit, envy, slander, if we put on love above all things, we would begin to show hope to a bruised and hurting world. Maybe if we spoke the truth in love, gave a reason for our hope in gentleness and respect, and did not lose our saltiness to be culturally relevant, we would actually have something to say that's worth listening to.

Mourn with those who mourn today, and do not forget why you are here.

No comments:

Post a Comment